Monday, April 03, 2006

Hooray!


Hi! I'm back and have all kinds of stuff to post. In my unintentional sojourn from computer-life, I had all kinds of time to draw, so that I did, and will now post ad nasuem. I'd also like to give a shout-out to a couple new readers, Eric and John R! Anyone else wandering onto this here blog, it's great to have you too, and I hope you enjoy. So now...ART:

It's been raining here for quite some time, and I was trapped inside, drawing mostly my hands and face. Every once in awhile I go on a self-portrait kick...good practice for head drawing. I suppose my own hands could be something of a self-portrait.

I got my new "Earthbound" sketchbooks in the mail, and so I have been loving the toned paper and ability to use white. It makes a difference! Hence the hands, and this self-portrait. I always try to put a bit of a story in my portraits, self or otherwise. For this one I was thinking primarily of Hans Holbein, but it came out a little stiffer than I wanted. Still good practice, however.

Another self-portrait a la Alphonse Mucha. I finally, after a year, got a copy of "Alphonse Mucha: The Spirit of Art Nouveau," and so I have been delighting in that. This drawing did not start out as a mucha drawing, but I had him in mind when I did it...and it went from there.

The times I did get out this week, I was on a quest for a summer job working at a stable. While the stable thing is likely not going to happen, I was around horses for two afternoons, and took the opportunity to get some gestures. I haven't drawn horses from life in some time, and it's always somewhat refreshing to do so, because I realize how heavily I rely on what I know, versus what I see. Here's a page o' horses for y'all.

For some other news, I got my new Wacom Intuous 3 6x8 tablet in the mail, and now that I have my computer back on-line, I get to dive into the crazy world of photoshop painting, about which I am much excited. I will have photoshop painting to post soon!

That's all for now, folks (really!). I leave you with a lil' watercolor landscape.